[meteorite-list] Re: hunting

From: Normal user <ceweed_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:43 2004

Hi Kelly
you continue to astound with the info you have .

I met another prospecive " meteorite collector " , Rashid Al Kuwari , hoping
to find some pair samples for my stone ... He had some very nice iron
bearing rocks , one even had a recognisable crust , but sadly nothing that
whispered meteorite . he was qiute amazed to see the cut samples I'd brought
& I left him with my prints from the fine web pages the list members produce
.The photies from the Sahara with the black stone in the desert struck a
chord .
He knows the curator of the Qatar National Museum , so it looks like the
majority of my stone will head there when I have the classification report .
I may even get to see the Nahkla fragment thro air instead of glass .

Took the opportunity to do some desert tracking back from our southern field
sector , heart was skipping a few beats when the Diff lock light wasn't
showing & the sand was getting softer , but once on terra firmer I found the
light to be on but struggling in the arabian sunshine !
After about 20k of rarely tracked desert ? ( green & flowering ) I found a
crescent of hills & low flat basin .Scattered amongst the marl & sand small
iron oxide glass/ amorphous fragments . We have the same near Dukhan ,
larger fragments crystalline ( not quite cubic )
I'm becoming more convinced these are impact related ,( no vulcanism in the
area ) .We have veins of calcite / siderite mixtures which I surpose would
possibly produce iron oxide on melting & glass or xtal depending on the
cooling.
re the time out of water . this site was 15km inland & still had a clam sea
shell on the surface , So the lowlying sectors may not even have been out of
water 8000 years
The average 1 / km^2 would need a clustering factor applied otherwise I'd
be tripping over meteorites .

When it comes to meteorite hunting ,
 I'm not giving the day job up
& I'm practicing the guitar in case that fails

Congratulation to Rhett , the media star, before long there'll be a fee to
be on the list

re meteorite assoc.
seems a good idea but I detect the progress from equals to some more equal
than others , and as MC says the Society does seem to be the one to be with
.
The list itself is a good forum
nuf waffle
allthe best