[meteorite-list] FIREBALLS & PARKING LOT FEES

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:42 2004

(13) METEOR FIREBALLS AND ELECTROMAGNETIC PULSE

>From Colin Keay <phcslk_at_cc.newcastle.edu.au>

Lightning strokes are a natural source of EMP's as one
may easily verify by having a radio or TV on during a
thunderstorm. The EMP from an asteroid entry would
last for a few seconds and be generated in the same
way as the em radiation giving rise to the anomalous
sounds from large meteor fireballs.

See: Colin S L Keay, "Anomalous Sounds from the Entry
of Meteor Fireballs" SCIENCE, Vol 210, pp. 11-15, 1980
October 3.
and
Colin S L Keay, "Progress in Explaining the Mysterious
Sounds Produced by Very Large Meteor Fireballs"
Journal of Scientific Exploration, Vol 7, No 4, pp.
337-354, 1993.

I hope these will be enlightening. In the case of an
asteroid entry I would expect the em radiation
strength would be as extreme as from a large nuclear
blast in the atmosphere, with drastic consequences for
all but the most heavily protected electronic
equipment.

Cheers ..... Colin Keay
University of Newcastle, NSW.

(16) AND FINALLY: SHOCK, HORROR, AS NASA DECLINES TO
PAY PARKING FEE FOR LANDING ON EROS

>From Orbital Development <gnemitz_at_orbdev.com>
Mr. Gregory Nemitz
3672-A Bancroft St.
San Diego, CA 92104
USA Tel: 619-528-0520
gnemitz_at_orbdev.com
http://www.orbdev.com

SAN DIEGO, CA
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NASA's General Counsel to Refer Eros Ownership Dispute
to Department of State

In a first ever government acknowledgment of the
possibility of a right to ownership of a property in
Space, NASA's General Counsel, Edward Frankle offers
Orbital Development (http://www.orbdev.com) to send
the company's claim of ownership of 433 Eros, to the
US Department of State for guidance. This is the first
known instance where a US government official admitted
that Space Property Rights may exist.

NASA's NEAR Shoemaker spacecraft landed on the
asteroid 433 Eros on 12 February, 2001. A few days
later, the asteroid's owner, Gregory W. Nemitz of
Orbital Development, based in San Diego, California,
sent a letter of invoice
(http://www.orbdev.com/010216.html) to Dan Goldin,
NASA's Head Administrator, for parking/storage fees of
$20 for the next century's rent.

In reply (http://www.orbdev.com/010309.html) to
OrbDev's invoice, and in acknowledgment that a
property right to Eros may exist, Mr. Frankle writes:
"Should you submit facially reasonable material
supporting your claim, NASA will send it, along with
your original letter, to the Department of State for
its advice and guidance."

The lengthy letter in response
(http://www.orbdev.com/010322.html) by Mr. Nemitz
gives a very detailed rationale on exactly why Mr.
Nemitz is indeed the owner of 433 Eros.

In the letter to Mr. Frankle, Mr. Nemitz writes: "If
the claim is in an uncharted area of law, it is
absolutely not immediately dismissable, in fact, it is
quite the opposite situation. If the claim is not in
violation of any laws, if it does not encroach on any
previous claim, and especially if the qualities of the
claim can trace a history of reasonable
precedents, it is in fact a very valid claim.

Mr. Nemitz's response also states: "If my claim can be
viewed as unperfected, it cannot be invalid for being
imperfect. The claim exists, my full property rights
remain valid, and my claim is absolutely not premature
nor inappropriate."

In addition, the response states: "In principle, the
very foundation of a representative form of government
resides in the public contract among those governed by
mutual consent, which allows government to protect
their individual and property rights. If any
government or Treaty to which governments adhere makes
private ownership of property in space illegal,
they've lost their only legitimate footing to BE a
government of, for, and by the people who view Space
as a frontier."

Orbital Development is a consultancy for Space and
Lunar Development. Founded in 1992, the firm has
worked on several space projects and with many notable
"New Space" companies. Mr. Nemitz, the company
Founder, is an Advocate in the Space Frontier
Foundation, a former president of the San Diego L-5
Society, a branch of the National Space Society, and
has been a space development activist since 1988.

Please Direct Inquires to:
Orbital Development
Mr. Gregory Nemitz
3672-A Bancroft St.
San Diego, CA 92104
USA Tel: 619-528-0520
gnemitz_at_orbdev.com
http://www.orbdev.com

-
please contact the moderator Benny J Peiser
<b.j.peiser_at_livjm.ac.uk>.
Information circulated on this network is for
scholarly and educational use
only. The attached information may not be copied or
reproduced for any other
purposes without prior permission of the copyright
holders. The fully
indexed archive of the CCNet, from February 1997 on,
can be found at:
    http://abob.libs.uga.edu/bobk/cccmenu.html

DISCLAIMER: The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints
expressed in the articles and texts and in other CCNet
contributions do not necessarily reflect the
opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of the moderator of
this network.

- ------- End of Forwarded Message