[meteorite-list] 15 minutes worth of fame...

From: Michael Cottingham <mikewren_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:39 2004

Hello,

I am not really sure what this particular thread is all
about......but.

I had a Native American Elder over to my house
a few days ago and we were talking of many
things. We were talking about spiritual medicine, herbs
and he asked me where "have you been lately".
I told him I have been in the world of meteorites and
that I felt that this was a good thing. He said " Ah...you have been with
the oldest of rocks ....the Great Grand Father rocks"! I told him that I
never thought of it
that way! He told me that they are the wisest of all
rocks........that they were here when the earth was
born........and that if one would listen, these space
rocks could tell you much.

I asked him if he would like some for his sweat lodge.
He said he would be honored and so I gave him
a couple of large ones for the sweat lodge. I asked
him if he had ever heard if meteorites had been use
in a sweat lodge before. He said that his grandfather
had used one many years before, but that it had
vanished. He told me that the "sweats" would
be really good now because there would be such
wise old rocks visting.

This man is considered to be one of the most
important Native Medicine People in North
America and I always respect his views.

I have eaten Murchison, Martian, Lunar, Allende,
and so many different meteorites now that I can not
recall them all. What have I noticed? Why would one
even do this? Are we all nothing but rearranged
star dust anyway? Good questions! I have no
answers. Just a refined taste for the "cosmic thing".

I am also 107 years old.

Best Wishes

Michael Cottingham