[meteorite-list] Re: No Meteorite In Yorkshire

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:35 2004

>http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1196000/1196688.stm
>
>No space rocks in York
>BBC News
>March 1, 2001

Incidently, BBC had an earlier version of this article which has these
statments:

>Space Rock Falls On York

>A meteoroid has landed in a field in York, UK, narrowly missing a woman
>walking her two dogs.

>They found a smoking crater, about 15 centimetres (six inches) wide and
>just under a metre (three feet) deep, in a nearby field.

>Officials from the Yorkshire Museum have confirmed it was made by a rock
>falling from space.

I understand no rock was found in the hole, so I'm curious how these
museum officials confirmed it was a meteorite.

After the original article was put on the BBC webpage, it was updated 6 minutes
later to say no meteorite was found and that the hole was caused by
an underground electricity cable short-circuiting.

Ron Baalke