[meteorite-list] Hunting scams

From: Mike Farmer <farmerm_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:34 2004

--------------27968B4F10DC203C4D1D1DB9

Why would you Care? How would you know who I bought my rock from if you
never bought any meteorites in Morocco? Mr. Franco, it seems that you
know the dealers but you never deal with them?
Don't worry about how I pay for my trips, is it your business? you say
you only find, but I have a very hard tome believing that. All I keep
hearing from you and others is that you only search, ALL I keep hearing
from the Moroccans is that the "Hunters" buy,
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
And I keep getting shit from the French (several different people) that
I should not go to Morocco, that it is "their territory" If none of you
buy, then it matters not if I buy there. You may believe in the inherent
goodness of mankind, I believe what I see, and that is the some serious
BULLSHIT has been passed of to us all in the last 4 years by some
people. What do the Moroccans have to gain or lose by telling us that
the French and some Germans buy from them? Why do you think that they
make this up. And when I say French, it is simply to avoid saying the
long list of names that I have who buy there. Just tell me why they
might spout off all of these names, if it is not true. Why do you think
that they lie? What do they gain, do you think I pay more if they tell
me that many French "Hunters" buy barrels of meteorites?

As far as my stone goes, rest assured that proper payment has been and
is still under way for those who helped us. We paid dearly for a stone
which we did not know the type. When I bought items that turned out to
be non meteoritic, I was told "Too bad" this is business" Take your
chance. Well, we did with this one, and we hit pay dirt. So they took
their chance, they sold it for over 10 to 20 YEARS salary for an average
Moroccan, and they were quite happy,
now I am happy too. Why can't you be, instead of getting pissed and
giving me shit.
It seems that the only people who are not happy for us are A, the FRENCH
HUNTERS, why? If they are hunters, then they do not buy, this stone was
bought, so it would not have fallen into their hands in the first place
as they say that they DO NOT BUY. So I am seeing some interesting
contradictions here, if you don't buy, and you only hunt, then you would
NEVER have got this stone.
Or is it that you hunt, and you also buy the RARE ONES?
The plot thickens on the entire "Hunting thing".
Does this make sense?
I would like feedback from the list, if these people only hunt, why are
they pissed that I BOUGHT a certain stone?
Mike Farmer

Michel Franco wrote:

> [...]
>

> > In a message dated 2/28/01 1:44:23 PM Central Standard
> > Time, GShanos_at_aol.com
> > writes:
> >

> > > Dear List Members:
> > >
> > > What is the official word? Are all the Dhofar's 025, 026
> > > an 081 paired?
> > > Look forward to hearing from everyone.
> > >
> > > Sincerely
> > > Greg Shanos
> >

> > Hello Greg,
> >
> > I have both he 025 and the 026 for sale and there is
> > nothing remotely similar
> > to them.
> >
> > With the Dhofar specimens, there is honest reporting of
> > all the details of
> > the find; such as the date of find, exact longitude and
> > latitude of the
> > finds, accurate TKW info and the like. Also, these
> > specimens have been found
> > by professional meteorite hunters and not simply gathered
> > by nomads and then
> > run through a system of handlers before brought to market
> > like most of the
> > NWA specimens. This is not to be meant as a "slam"
> > against the NWA's; I have
> > sold a few NWA's myself and I will sell more in the
> > future, it is simply a
> > statement of fact.
> >
> > I think Mike Farmer has been the most open about
> > explaining the state of
> > meteorite affairs in Morocco. It is important to know
> > however, the Dhofar
> > situation is far from like that.
> >
> > While much of a meteorite's value should stand on what
> > type of a meteorite it
> > is, not based on the exact location where it was found;
> > one very important
> > consideration in determining a potential value is the
> > Total Known Weight
> > found. It might be easy to figure out that all (or at
> > least most all) of the
> > EH3 specimen found in the Sahara will (or should be)
> > paired, it is next to
> > impossible to know if your Saharan H5 specimen is one of a
> > a thousand stones
> > from one fall, or if it might be the entire mass of a
> > fall. Or you might not
> > know if next week a new fragment for the same fall of your
> > new achondrite
> > might increase the TKW by 10 fold.
> >
> > Thoughts to consider.
> >
> > As to the details of your specific question about pairing,
> > you can find a lot
> > of great information at Washington University's site here:
> >
> > http://epsc.wustl.edu/admin/resources/moon_meteorites.html
> >
> > I hope this helps.
> >
> > Steve
> >
> > Steve Arnold

--------------27968B4F10DC203C4D1D1DB9

Why would you Care? How would you know who I bought my rock from if you
never bought any meteorites in Morocco? Mr. Franco, it seems that you know
the dealers but you never deal with them?
say you only find, but I have a very hard tome believing that. All I keep
hearing from you and others is that you only search, ALL I keep hearing
from the Moroccans is that&nbsp; the "Hunters"&nbsp; buy, HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
[...]
as though they did not recognize it from the start as the same damn thing.</font>
should go in some easy places like DaG and prospect himself. he will certainly
find all his meteorites on the same day. When some one see dishonest people
everywhere, I feel unconfortable. I m a Rouseauist: mankind is good, with
few exceptions, very few!</font>&nbsp;<font size=-1>I tried to explain
one to Mike Farmer that Dag 476 and Dag 494 were not found by the same
team. And that all other Dag SNC were found during separate expeditions.</font><font size=-1>I
never received any comment about that point.</font>&nbsp;<font size=-1>Mike
you should go back yourself to the hunring field, and pick them up yourself
without any backers for your trips. $10 per gram was great deal, I hope
you have already sent a large reward to Ahmed Amouri.</font>&nbsp;<font size=-1>My
style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="mailto:MeteorHntr_at_aol.com">MeteorHntr@aol.com</a>
wrote:
1:44:23 PM Central Standard Time, GShanos_at_aol.com</font></font>
    style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"
    TYPE="CITE">&nbsp;
Are all the Dhofar's 025, 026 an 081 paired?</font></font>
from everyone.</font></font>