[meteorite-list] Dhofar Lunaites

From: MeteorHntr_at_aol.com <MeteorHntr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:34 2004

--part1_78.112ee7bc.27cf6643_boundary

In a message dated 2/28/01 11:27:52 PM Central Standard Time,
farmerm_at_concentric.net writes:

> I don't know if the Dhofar meteorites are far from that at all. How do we
> know the the given information is correct? I do not doubt it, but after the
> Dar al Gani mars rocks, it would seem that some dishonesty was occuring
> there, popping out a new piece every few months, as though they did not
> recognize it from the start as the same damn thing.
> Mike Farmer MeteorHntr_at_aol

Hello Mike and list,

I suppose that it might be hard to absolutely prove that every specimen from
Oman has been found where the hunters say they found them (even GPS
coordinates in a photo can be faked), but I have found no reason not to
believe that the finders are being honest.

I do realize that not all the Oman specimens are found by the same team of
hunters, but I know the man that heads up the team that found both the lunar
specimens Dhofar 025 and Dhofar 026 and I find him a very trustworthy
scientist.

Not that this is proof, but the point has been brought up that these two
specimens were found within 20km of each other. I would think that if they
were fabricating data on where the specimens were found, they would have
picked points further apart from each other, at least to make it seem more
realistic.

For any of you that are interested in any of the Dhofar 025, I do have
limited quantities available starting at 0.050g at $4,000/g and cheaper if
you want a bigger piece. I also have some Dhofar 026, with a TKW of only
148.0g starting at 0.050g $4,700/g and cheaper if you want a larger piece.
If you want part slices smaller than 0.050g, there will be a slight premium.
All of these slices are 1.0mm thin or thinner!!!

Here is a photo of how huge of a surface area you get for such a thin cut on
a slice that is UNDER 1g, Dhofar 025 0.978g:

http://members.aol.com/meteorhntr/26.jpg

And here is a 7g slice of Dhofar 025:

http://members.aol.com/meteorhntr/7gDhofar025.jpg

While I am in my "commercial" mode, I might as well mention that I also have
some Killer super thin slices of the Dhofar 019 SNC and the Dhofar 018
Howardite.

Email me if you might have an interest in any of these. I can't promise that
the prices will go up or down on these in the future, but I can't imagine the
prices will be able to go much lower.

Steve Arnold
www.meteoritebroker.com

--part1_78.112ee7bc.27cf6643_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>In a message dated 2/28/01 11:27:52 PM Central Standard Time,