[meteorite-list] Ragland Classification
From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:36 2004
> According to the Catalogue of Meteorites it's an
> L3.5 but all over the web it's been classified as
> LL3.4 ???
Hello Frank and List,
You are right about Ragland. There is some confusion with regard to
its proper classification. Several differing classifications are listed:
1) Fourth edition of the Catalogue, p.296: L3
2) Fifth edition of the Catalogue, p. 419: L3.5
3) RECCA S.I. et al. (1986) Ragland, an LL3.4 chondrite
find from New Mexico (Meteoritics 21, 1986, 217-229).
4) JONES R.H. et al. (1997) A chondrule origin for dusty relict olivine
in unequilibrated chondrites (Meteoritics 32-6, 1997, pp. 753-760).
In this article, Ragland is listed as LL3.5
in the footnote to table 1 on page 756.
5) Here is the most recent article in MAPS
that also mentions Ragland as an LL3.5:
HUSS G.R. et al. (2001) Aluminum-26 in calcium-aluminum-rich
inclusions and chondrules from unequilibrated ordinary chondrites
(MAPS 36-7, 2001, pp. 975-997).
Received on Sat 28 Jul 2001 11:42:27 AM PDT