[meteorite-list] Bolide Graphics on the AMS Web Site

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:35 2004

Hi Jim,

> It is important to remember what the green box on the map is supposed to
> represent -> it is a very general, preliminary bounding box for the
> **trajectory of the visible portion of the fireball**. It is NOT at all
> meant to be a map of a potential recovery area -- that will require a lot
> more math and some better information from a number of witnesses.

I guess I should have been more clear. But you still
miss the point -- your long east-west box gives the
impression that you believe this bolide traveled
primarily east to west. It didn't, and that's why I
said I "disagreed with the conclusions."

> The map was simply my first step in screening the initial batch of reports

> (now over 200), in order to (1) verifying that only one event probably did

> occur, (2) gain a general idea as to what area the fireball occurred over,

> & its general direction and length, and (3) determine what geographic
areas
> we needed to pursue more accurate reports from for the purpose of
obtaining
> a solution. The simple push-pin map achieved this goal, and now the real
> fun starts.

I realized it was a preliminary effort, and I was frankly
impressed with how quickly the map graphic was put together.
The town names given in some of the reports are so small
that they aren't on most maps, and I had to use a search
engine to locate their coordinates. I used only about
30 reports, so I can imagine the work involved with over
200! That's why given all the obvious work you had put
into the project (in a very limited amount of time) I was
surprised that your inferred direction of the track was
off by perhaps 45 to 60 degrees. The only explanation I
could come up with was that a lot of weight was being
given to one or two observations, so I focused on the one
from Wyomissing.

>> On a seemingly nitpicky note, the sketch shown to the right of the map
>> has the sun in the wrong position:

> Give the guy a break, Rob! It was drawn off the top of his head, the
> following morning.

My comments were not meant to be disparaging, merely corrective.
The gentleman deserves kudos for his efforts which were far more
detailed and useful than nearly all the other reports. He gave
his geographical coordinates, he gave an accurate time, he gave
compass directions and a trajectory relative to the local
horizon. It's a quality observation. My post was only intended
as a means of tweaking his track downward and to the right in
order to improve the accuracy of his azimuth and elevation
coordinates.

Cheers,
Rob