[meteorite-list] NEW YORK / PENNSYLVANIA METEORITE

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:34 2004

Elton --

I would re-think investing any time on the cornfield business
in Williamsport. Sounds suspiciously like a red herring to me.
Plot the sonic boom points on a map of Pennsylvania and you'll
see they continue well past Williamsport. FIDAC observational
report data from places like Buffalo and Holland, NY suggest
focussing efforts further to the northwest.

I do worry about the methods by which people computed the
azimuths in their FIDAC reports. Since this occurred during
the daytime, some people might have used the sun's location
as a reference for estimating their compass directions.
Trouble is that some think the sun always sets in the
west, but at PA/NY's latitude at this time of year, the sun
sets a good 25 degrees north of west.

Cheers,
Rob