[meteorite-list] Recent lunar activity

From: Darryl S. Futrell <futrelds_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:32 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: David Weir <dgweir_at_earthlink.net>
To: Darryl S. Futrell <futrelds_at_gte.net>; Meteorite list
Date: Friday, July 13, 2001 9:56 AM
Subject: [meteorite-list] Recent lunar activity

With the obvious exception of my reference to a portion of O'Keefe's book in
my recent original rlv post, I NEVER either said, or implied, that any of
the other references contained any mention of tektites. Why should I???
I've never seen Schultz's or any of the other co-author's names on a tektite
paper.
It's not their field of expertize! The same goes for the authors of the
earlier papers I listed. I expect that no one at any institution who is
presently in pursuit of evidence for recent lunar activity would dare to get
involved with the lunar volcanic tektite issue. At least, not in print.
Have any of them read any of O'Keefe's many papers on tektites? I wouldn;t
know. I would imagine that some of them have read a few of the hundreds of
papers by the impact geochemists claiming a terrestrial impact melt origin,
and, since that is, by far, the majority opinion, they have accepted it. I
would bet that none of them are aware of the obvious volcanic structures of
all layered tektites, unless they have seen the illustrations in my
published papers and abstracts. Numerous examples of the physical evidence
for my claim are available for anyone's examination.

What I was referring to in my original rlv post are those who have been
staunch supporters of the impact melt theory for tektites, and who also try
to dismiss ALL reports of observed (from Earth) red and orange glows, etc.
as being mere obscurations caused by the Earth's atmosphere. In my opinion,
if these people would acknowledge that there might be something to some of
the reports of such glows, it would no longer be so easy for them to ignore
the many papers by J. A. O'Keefe and others.

The case for lunar pyroclastics can be found in the references I listed for
papers by Greenacre and Hartmann and Harris. The former is relatively easy
to find; the latter, not so easy to find. I found it at Caltech in their
Space and Aviation library.

In other words, I never claimed there was a link between tektite origin and
the particular work by Schultz et al., and I think it was in poor taste to
try to make it sound as if I was. In my rlv post, I was merely attempting
to point out that there is evidence that the Moon is not volcanically dead.

DSF