[meteorite-list] Tektites lunar/terrestrial

From: Stephen Edward Smith <vickie-steve-smith_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:30 2004

Hi all,
    Another point that is sometimes overlooked is that there is no oceanic crust over 200 million years old. The oceanic crust is continuously being subducted and replenished. We tend to compare to rocks we "know" which are usually highly metamorphic or weathered continental plate rocks . I believe the source for tektites would most probably be an impact event with
oceanic crust material. All obvious signs of an impact would be long gone.

Steve Smith