[meteorite-list] "layered" chondrites

From: Frank Cressy <fcressy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:30 2004

Hello All,
Just read Ron Elliott's article in Voyage magazine. He mentions that he saw
an LL3 slice of Marvin Kilgore's that appeared to exhibit layers of
chondrules. I saw the same LL3 in Marvin's room in Costa Mesa and it struck
me also that it was layered. I was wondering if anyone else has seen or has
examples of "layered" chondrites.

Off the top of my head I would think that "asteroid-quakes" or impacts could
dislodge unstable lying chondrules or chondrule packages, causing them to be
deposited in "low" areas of the asteroid. Over time you might get a
"layered" or "bedded" sequence. Or impacts themselves might scatter loose
chondrite materal and form "layers" elsewhere on the asteroid.

If anyone has any examples or thoughts on this I certainly would be
interested in hearing from you.
Thanks,
Frank