[meteorite-list] Powellsville Meteorite Question

From: FERNLEA4_at_aol.com <FERNLEA4_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:30 2004

In a message dated 09/07/01 23:03:01 GMT Daylight Time, martino.6_at_osu.edu
writes:

<< I just received this question from the curator of the small geology museum
 at OSU. He was a big help in creating my recent "LEGO Mars Rover" Exhibit,
 so I'd like to help him out. Can anyone answer this for me please? I'll
 pass it along. >>

Bob,
here's what the Catalogue says about Powellsville:

A 4310 g stone was found ~40 cm underground by a man digging
out a tree stump in his yard.
Classification and mineralogy (M. Prinz, AMNH): olivine Fa 19^; pyroxene Fs
17^ Wo 0.5^.
It was found in Scioto County, Ohio, USA in 1990 and classified as an H5,
weathering grade W3.
The total known weight needs to be updated to over 8kg now, because another
4kg individual was recovered by Alan Shaw last year and this is now in my
collection. Let me know if you'd like some pictures.

Cheers,
Rob.
http://fernlea.tripod.com/forsale.html
Fernlea Meteorites,