[meteorite-list] rlv (Lunar Tektite Theory holds no water)

From: Tracy Latimer <tracyl_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:29 2004

Tektite theories aside, I believe (from my faulty memory of high school
physics) that water begins decomposing into hydrogen and oxygen at about
6500-7000 degreed Fahrenheit. This is why fire fighters have trouble
with using water to extinguish type D fires; the heat generated is so
intense that the water will break down and fuel the fire rather than put
it out! Gotta use specialized, non-decomposing chemicals for that.

Would the temperatures generated by meteorite impact and/or atmospheric
entry be sufficient to cause the breakdown of water molecules? How hot
DOES a bolide get during reentry?

Tracy Latimer