[meteorite-list] "NYTimes" Moon Rocks Article

From: geoking_at_notkin.net <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:28 2004

--============_-1218023041==_ma============

Greetings Listees:

Interesting article about Moon rocks in yesterday's "NYTimes," by
Henry Fountain.

"Shoot It, Howl at It, Buy It"

Excerpt:

Almost all of what there is (other than a few lunar meteorites, and
about half a pound of rock brought back by unmanned Soviet
spacecraft) is sitting in nitrogen-filled storage compartments in a
NASA building in Houston. That's the 842 pounds of rock and soil
collected by the six Apollo missions.

Some of that material has been doled out to scientists. But other
than about 100 tiny slivers that were given to world leaders by
President Richard M. Nixon, NASA has kept very strict tabs on it.
"There's a few grams that have been lost in the mail," said Gary
Lofgren, curator of lunar samples at NASA's Johnson Space Center.
"But 99.9 percent of it is accounted for."

Full story here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/01/weekinreview/01FOUN.html?searchpv=day01

They managed to send a ship on a 1/2 million mile round trip to
collect Moon rocks, and then some of the specimens got "lost in the
mail"? I guess it's true what they say: "We sent a man to the Moon,
but still can't get the mail delivered on time."

Geoff N.

--============_-1218023041==_ma============

Greetings Listees:

Interesting article about Moon rocks in yesterday's "NYTimes," by Henry
Fountain.

"Shoot It, Howl at It, Buy It"

<underline>Excerpt:</underline>

Almost all of what there is (other than a few lunar meteorites, and
about half a pound of rock brought back by unmanned Soviet spacecraft)
is sitting in nitrogen-filled storage compartments in a NASA building
in Houston. That's the 842 pounds of rock and soil collected by the six
Apollo missions.

Some of that material has been doled out to scientists. But other than
about 100 tiny slivers that were given to world leaders by President
Richard M. Nixon, NASA has kept very strict tabs on it. "There's a few
grams that have been lost in the mail," said Gary Lofgren, curator of
lunar samples at NASA's Johnson Space Center. "But 99.9 percent of it
is accounted for."

<underline>Full story here:</underline>