[meteorite-list] Re: Earth Originating Meteorites

From: David Freeman <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:42:06 2004

Hi Kelly, Bob, Vern, and Ernie;
I spent eight years working in a very large open pit coal mine and half of
that time was spent drilling and blasting rock. The cretaceous overburden
and inter burden had varying densities and toughness, and the powder factors
used to fracture the rock types did vary considerably. The cap rock layer
just above the coal was the finer silts tone of the formation and was the
hardest to fracture for digging...which is the main point of the whole
exercise.
My connection to the thread is how many tons of fly rock I witnessed first
hand. Fly rock is wasted energy as no fracturing of the formation takes
place if the energy is expelled upward with a handful of free flying rocks
instead of coupling to the formation and fracturing rock, and thus allowing
for ease of excavation. It made great entertainment though, and great
experience for ejecta theories of mine.
A rock that is sitting on the surface and lifted with energy will rise and
not really fracture much on its way up to say a couple thousand feet
elevation, boom and up she goes, even try stemming a blast hole with rocks
will simulate a cannon going off. Rock that is still attached firmly to
terra firma will fracture and have much internal structural damage.
What really fractures rock is when it stops real fast.....imagine a 50 pound
rock of hardness 6 mohs that is dropped down a few thousand feet through
thin air (6,500 feet) and hits a hard packed road bed and stops in about 5
milliseconds. That is what really breaks the rock. Rock will survive the
blast up, but will loose cohesion upon impact. In directly, did the rock
get pre stressed when it was "ejected"?
Another one for simulation, place a 30 pound rock hardness 6 mohs on top of
a partial roll of 50 grain blasting cord and touch it off. With the loose
coupling of the rock just sitting on the cardboard roll, the rock goes up(
and a large air blast is produced), and the rock is a little worn for the
ride up, the stop at the bottom seems more detrimental to the rock. A
similar rock placed directly on a single line of blasting cord where the
rock is directly touching the cord when detonated will result in the rock
having a inch deep cut in the rock if it was not lifted skyward to fly (
rock was heavier than the ability of the cords energy to over come the
gravity and establish lift), and just picked up a little.
It was evident to me that the coupling factor...cushioning of initial
acceleration seemed to be a very determining factor in the survival of the
ejecta...and if it fell on the haul road, on a truck, or in a field when it
returned to earth. Blasting cord detonation is 30,000 feet per second (?),
and the ammonium nitrate velocity of detonation is 25,000 feet per second (
or approximately, my memory fails me in some numbers).
In fracturing the rock, one needed to blast to a free face in order to allow
the energy to work the rock to a place where it could become free to expand
and fracture. A few times when starting a new pit, we made some blind
blasts to start a free face. Fly rock was three to five times greater in
height and angles of exit when there was no readily available path to free
movement. We would be about a mile back from blind face shots. I ran out
the lead in line, played on the pit radio, and inniated the blasts...with
adult supervision of course.
I have a few pictures around if anyone would like to see fly rock for a
little visual candy of energy releasing against gravity.
I hope this was food for thought. If you are still here, the interesting
thing is that the shock wave going out doesn't break the rock as much
effectively as the returning shock wave reversing back in toward the zone of
detonation.
Have a blast, more fun than matches!
Dave Freeman