[meteorite-list] RE: NWA & Saharan meteorites

From: Matt Morgan <mmorgan_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:42:01 2004

Hi Michael and Ron:
I see your point, clearly. Am I a madman?? You know me Michael. Maybe I was
generalizing too much, but for me, as I said, the common stoff (on the Ebay
strewn field as Ron put it) holds no appeal whatsoever. Same as the severly
weathered material, I'd rather own a small Gao or Juancheng for a bit more
in price. One thing I really do miss about NWAs and such are the stories.
I've yet to hear about one that was used as an anvil or a doorstop for a
jail. To me that is part of the mystique, its the lineage of a meteorite,
commonly overlooked by collectors. You don't have that with the desert
meteorites. I own only a handfull of NWAs, had one classified myself, but
they are beginning to lose their place in my collection. Granted the rare
ones fill holes for odd classes, but they will be replaced as soon as I can
with a fall or non-Saharan find. They don't hold their value either $$.
Meteorite snobbery? Maybe...probably. But that is what sets all of us apart
and makes collecting so damn fun. Thanks for the discussion! Time to go cut
a new H3!! (not from the Sahara :)

Matt Morgan
Mile High Meteorites
http://www.mhmeteorites.com