[meteorite-list] Re: SNC's and their ages

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:59 2004

--__--__--

Message: 14
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:46:46 -0800 (PST)
From: ari machiz <a_machiz_at_yahoo.com>
To: meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com
Subject: [meteorite-list] SNC's and their ages

Hi list. I have an easy one.

A collegue at work wants to know how old our snc's
are, and what dating methods we use. This is in an
attempt to determine if he should believe that they
are actually of Martian origin.

Thanks for any responses.

Ari

New Clues About Martian Meteorites Baffle Scientists

By Greg Clark
space.com

CHICAGO -- Analysis of new Martian meteorites is
confounding planetary scientists with clues that
simply don't add up.

Rather than clearing up existing questions about the
Red Planet, results from the new meteorites seem to be
opening up a Pandora's box of questions about Mars.
Evidence from the rocks doesn't seem compatible with
one of the most trusted scientific conclusions about
the planet: that the vast majority of the Martian
surface is
billions of years old.

The puzzle came into sharp focus here this week at the
annual meeting of the Meteoritical Society, as
scientists announced their findings from three
recently discovered
Mars rocks.

The Los Angeles meteorite, which was discovered last
fall by a Los Angeles rock hunter, was revealed to be
only 175 million years old -
- contemporary in geologic terms.

It is a volcanic rock that crystallized from magma
near the Martian surface. Larry Nyquist and a research
team at NASA's Johnson Space Center and Lockheed
Martin in Houston determined the age by measuring the
state of certain weakly-radioactive isotopes within
the meteorite.

<http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/martian_meteorite_000830.html>