[meteorite-list] meteorites/moonrock _at_ Onizuka Space Center in Hawaii

From: Stuart Forbes <stuart.forbes_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:57 2004

>The "piece de resistance" was a 177.3 gram piece of Lunar Sample 74255,
>obtained in the Apollo 17 mission.
>
>http://www.jgregory.wilson.org/lunardisplay.jpg
>http://www.jgregory.wilson.org/moonrock.jpg
>
>I asked how much they wanted for it, but they were unamused. ;-)

Some background information on this piece, for those who are interested.
This was found by Jack Schmitt on the rim of Shorty crater on EVA 2 beside
the famous "orange soil" that you all know I love so much. It was described
at the time by Schmitt as a vesicular gabbro. He removed it from a boulder
that was so highly eroded he was able to pull it off with his fingers. This
boulder can be seen in this picture, the large boulder in the top left of
the photo:

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/alsj/a17/as17-137-20990.jpg

Its also visible just up and to the right of the rover in this picture:

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/alsj/a17/as17-137-21009.jpg

Regards,

Stuart Forbes
Edinburgh, Scotland