[meteorite-list] Polishing Stones Answers

From: tett <tett_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:56 2004

Wow!&nbsp; This list is great!
off my meteorite slices.&nbsp; Thanks to all that responded.
I have summarized some of them below.
features of some of my slices.&nbsp; I had a piece of Red Deer Hill which
was polished too much.&nbsp; By coarsening the polish I was able to bring
out some dark shock veins (I believe) of Ringwoodite!
chondrite that has a certain degree of weathering will darken drastically
after polishing.....you'll highlight the metal flake but you'll lose chondrule
definition and contrast, as they tend to merge into the surrounding matrix
and become less visible. Sometimes a few saw marks are preferable in a
slice, opposed to a highly polished slice that hides all it's features,
so choose with care :-)
alcohol and something like a 600 grit abrasive sheet to polish out the
worst saw marks, then progressively work towards 1200 grit or finer....work
the
alcohol during polishing. Some people complete the process with a polishing
compound for a very high gloss finish, but a mirror finish like that is
not
the best way to deal with saw marks on a meteorite is not to buy those
slices. With that said, he has written about this very subject and other
preparation
includes brief instructions on how to grind them by hand. All you need
is plenty of patience.
be finished. That way you get the most from your specimens."
8 inch lap wheel to remove saw&nbsp; marks and flatten the meteorites,
but everything after that is hand sanded on a flat surface using sheets
of sandpaper.&nbsp; The wheel is 180 grit and the sandpaper is 220, 320,
and 600.&nbsp; You could use sand paper to get the saw marks out it will
just take longer.
Selma for instance will polish black and all the chondrules will disappear.&nbsp;
If the chondrules start to disappear it is possible to go back a grit,
but you must
grits of silicon carbide (wet&amp;dry) sand paper - black stuff.&nbsp;
220, 400, 600, 1500.
(220), place it on a very flat surface, preferably a piece of glass.&nbsp;
Hold the specimen with your fingers and apply a modest downward pressure
as you move it back and forth on the paper.&nbsp; Move to a fresh section
on the paper as the spot you are using loads up with dust.&nbsp; Once you
can no longer see any saw marks, wipe the specimen with a clean paper towel
with a bit of anhydrous alcohol on it.&nbsp; This will remove the grains
of grit that can contaminate the next finer sanding steps.&nbsp; Repeat
with the 400, 600, and 1500 grit and you will have a finely polished specimen
that is also flat."
I have been using their equipment for years with excellent results. Their
home page is <A HREF="http://www.crystalite.com">http://www.crystalite.com</A>.&nbsp; Their parent company's page
with diamond hand pads is
ones are too expensive. I didn't see them on their site but I know they
carry them."