[meteorite-list] Sighted something........

From: James O,Roark <jamesoro_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:53 2004

Hello,

Outside putting the tree by the curb I happened to look to
the eastern horizon and saw a bright comet shape. This
was at 7:02 AM in San Juan Capistrano, Ca. The sun had
not yet come up. I figured it was a jet contrail catching the
sun just so but then thought it would be fun to get a picture
as it was a beautiful sight. Ran inside to get my new Lomo
and came out to find the object hadn't moved much and so
clicked a pic. As I was rewinding the object winked out,
then reappeared in a broken pattern, sort of as a series of
dots stll in line. Got a pic of that and then it was gone.

Whole thing took about a minute to happen, no smoke trail,
no sound, no colors. Still probably a jet except for the frag-
menting part.

BTW the object appeared to be heading toward the rising
sun, ESE and was at about 10 to 15 degrees above the
horizon.

Any thoughts?