[meteorite-list] SCAMS from Morocco

From: Mike Farmer <farmerm_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:12 2004

I just want to warn people NOT to rent a car in Morocco! I rented from Budget,
an American company, they ripped me off for several thousand dollars, I had to
cancel all of my credit cards to stop the charges from coming in. They said we
totally destroyed the truck, although I have the receipt showing turned in with
full tank of gas and all was well. This was in Marrakech. Budget here told me
that that is a franchise in Africa and there was nothing they could do. So much
for bothering to rent from an international company.
I tell anyone wanting to go to Morocco that the scams are high, in every facet
of your journey. I caught one man in a bank in Zagora trying to steal $200 from
a$5000 money change TWO separate times. Each time he claimed to make a mistake,
so I sent in a friend, SAME PROBLEM!!!! This guy must be a real idiot to make so
many mistakes.
DO NOT rent a CAR, receipts mean NOTHING, DO NOT use ANY credit card for
ANYTHING, cash is the only way to go.
Good luck, those who think that this is easy will find out the hard way.
DON'T send ANYONE $$$$$$ without the items. It is a useless and futile gesture.
Mike Farmer