[meteorite-list] More Questions - meteoritics

From: colin wade <ceweed_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:12 2004

Hi Robert & list
You'll be asking how many digits of pi we can calculate next !!!!
2 riyals worth from Qatar
The valence state will reflect the oxidation potential , transition elements
tend to be variable valent depending on the oxidation potential &
temperature eg Fe FeO Fe3 04 Fe2 O3 classic examples .The oxidant can be any
radical O ,S, CO3, SO4 etc .
this property per se doesn't affect the water of crystallisation .
The text relates to 2 separate conditions dryness & low oxygen potential .
the stuff would be expected reactive in an earth atmos
all the best
Col