[meteorite-list] Re: Parma Canyon

From: Martin Horejsi <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:11 2004

--B_3065438465_1415080

> Brad kindly asked:
>=20
> Does anyone have any information on the Parma Canyon, Idaho meteorite? Th=
anks
>=20

Hi Brad,

I have tried to find out more about this specimen in the past, but to no
avail. It seems that even though one of the show pieces in the Smithsonian=B9=
display is from Idaho, the other irons from here are rather illusive. Even
the locations of the finds are somewhat confusing.

Of the meteorites listed from Idaho in the purple-book (formally known as
the blue-book), Hayden Creek was a tiny iron possibly paired with a Montana
specimen called Livingston; Idaho, another iron, is from an unknown localit=
and weight, and chemically appears quite similar to Canyon Diablo; Jerome, =
stone found in 1954 has not been fully classified (but it did pose with
Chase the cat for the Meteorite Millennium Calendar); Oakley, Idaho=B9s most
famous meteorite is a beautiful IIIF 111kg iron found in 1926; Wilder, an H=
5
found in the same (possibly?) county as Parma Canyon, was ploughed up in
1982 and is also featured in the Meteorite Millennium Calendar.

So as Parma Canyon goes, all I can tell you is good luck.

Are you on to something?

Cheers,

Martin

--B_3065438465_1415080

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: Parma Canyon</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">Brad kindly asked:<BR>
<BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2">Does anyone have any information on the Parma Canyon, Idaho =
meteorite? Thanks<BR>
</FONT></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
<BR>
Hi Brad,<BR>
<BR>
I have tried to find out more about this specimen in the past, but to no av=
ail. It seems that even though one of the show pieces in the Smithsonian&#82=
17;s display is from Idaho, the other irons from here are rather illusive. E=
ven the locations of the finds are somewhat confusing.<BR>
<BR>
Of the meteorites listed from Idaho in the purple-book (formally known as t=
he blue-book), Hayden Creek was a tiny iron possibly paired with a Montana s=
pecimen called Livingston; Idaho, another iron, is from an unknown locality =
and weight, and chemically appears quite similar to Canyon Diablo; Jerome, a=
 stone found in 1954 has not been fully classified (but it did pose with Cha=
se the cat for the Meteorite Millennium Calendar); Oakley, Idaho&#8217;s mos=
t famous meteorite is a beautiful IIIF 111kg iron found in 1926; Wilder, an =
H5 found in the same (possibly?) county as Parma Canyon, was ploughed up in =
1982 and is also featured in the Meteorite Millennium Calendar.<BR>
<BR>
So as Parma Canyon goes, all I can tell you is good luck. <BR>
<BR>
Are you on to something?<BR>
<BR>
Cheers,<BR>