[meteorite-list] Smara vs. Howardite

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:10 2004

tett wrote:

> Smara ... is classified as a polymict eucrite.
>
> In viewing this piece I was amazed at the diversity of the breccia and
> wondered if there is any diogenite material in there. It sure looks like
> a howardite to me and I have heard that mentioned by others as well.

Hello All!

Here are two excerpts from abstracts in Meteoritics that may shed some
light on the diogenite material Tett discovered in his Smara polymict
eucrite.

BUCHANAN P.C. et al. (1994) Lithic Clasts in the Polymict Eucrite
Petersburg (Meteoritics 29-4, 1994, A450):

The polymict eucrite Petersburg is a regolith breccia containing
significant proportions of matrix pyroxenes with compositions
intermediate between those found in d i o g e n i t e s and
noncumulate eucrites.

SAIKI K. et al. (1992) Crystallization trends of pyroxenes from
diogenites to cumulate eucrites in HED breccias as deduced from
elemental distribution images (Meteoritics 27-3, 1992, A284):

Cumulate eucrites are located compositionally
between d i o g e n i t e s and eucrites.

Best wishes,

Bernd