[meteorite-list] Re: NEAR Bounces to Historic Landing on Asteroid Eros

From: E.L.Jones <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:10 2004

What is the calculated acceleration for the area in which NEAR
landed? I am curious as to how long a "bounce" might endure there as
compared to here or upon the moon.

It occurs to me , since Eros is irregular by some 20 miles by 8 miles ,
as such, shouldn't there be some nodes where acceleration in fact
follows a vector towards the poles of Eros rather than the mid
latitudes? IF I am shooting for the middle of Eros to land might I get
drawn laterally by towards the greater mass? is there a strong center
of gravity er gravitational attraction on Eros? Maybe these boulders
are actually like Lemmings--- sliding towards the poles of Eros due to
gravity and centrifugal forces.

Regards,
Elton