[meteorite-list] H7 - L7 - LL7 statistics

From: Jeffrey N. Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:09 2004

This is a repost of my comment to the list dated 4 Feb 1999:

>...there are few consensus answers to be found among researchers
>[about the term "type 7"]. "Type 7" has
>been used in a variety of different ways. However, Alan Rubin and I
>agree on what we think is the best way to use this term:
>Types 3-6 form a metamorphic sequence of increasing intensity. We think
>that type 7 should only be used (if EVER) for meteorites that have
>experienced even more solid-state metamorphism than type 6. An impact
>melt-rock should be called just that, not type 7. You can have impact
>melt sheets and pockets in low metamorphic-grade chondrites that have
>experienced shock, so it doesn't make sense to confuse the two.
>There is lots of room for confusion about what is an impact melt rock
>and what is a type 6-7 meteorite...
>
>Primitive achondrites are all differentiated rocks. They do not have
>chondritic compositions for all elements, although they are still
>fairly close.

The data summarized by Bernd and listed in the Catalogue simply repeat what
can be found in the literature. Because the term "type 7" has no accepted
meaning, these statistics are also meaningless. Some of those meteorites
clearly have impact melt origins, and others are poorly described.

SO... given the lack of any precise meaning for the term "type 7,"
consider all meteorites listed as type 7 as most likely to be either type
6 or impact melt rocks until somebody writes a paper to sort them all out.

jeff