[meteorite-list] Astro Archive update

From: Astro Archive Administrator <astro-archive_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:08 2004

Hi all,

it's been half a year since my last post. I've been working and
studying hard and had little time to take care of the archives.
However, I removed the VSNET mailing lists to common request. That
shrunk the archive size from over a million messages to just under
half a million but it keeps the informative and readworthy messages
on top. A few lists have been added in the meantime as well.

The message display routine has been adapted to replace the _at_
character in all email addresses that are displayed within a message
with a random string that variates for every message in length and
characters. Humans can still decode the original mail address but
harvesting efficiently has become impossible. Also, the email addresses you enter into the "Mail this article to a friend" is neither stored nor given away to anyone.

A service that creates news every day on space and astronomy related
issues has been added to the main page. I was hoping this would
attract more people, but it hasn't made any difference so far. Let me
know your thoughts.

I will be installing a new server soon, I ordered a 1.1 GHz AMD with
1.5 GB RAM so the entire Database will fit into RAM, including the
full text index. This will allow for very fast searches!

Make your day a fulfilled day, don't forget to drop by the archive at
http://www.astroarchive.com every once in a while!

Cheers

Balt Indermuehle
bi_at_inside.netLists: