[meteorite-list] UA Science Team Readies For NEAR Landing

From: Stuart Forbes <stuart.forbes_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:07 2004

>Stuart originally wrote:
>
>> He had no hand holds, so every
>> time he touched the spacecraft, it pushed him back
>
>Stuart then replied:
>
>> Sure he had some handholds,
>
>Not to point out the obvious, but you just contradicted yourself.

The men on the ground put on the restraints. They never been in space, so
they don't appreciate the problems (oh look, people doing something they've
never done before and things going wrong thanks to the unexpected, isn't
this where we started?). Cernan's in a spacesuit. The spacesuit restricts
movement, so in places there are no handholds as he can't reach them (I
admit I generalised initially). In addition, some restraints are razor sharp
(nice quality control NASA!) and so can't be used.

Oh, and Lovell was talking about Gemini 9, and I recall John Young once
mentioned something similar about his flight on Gemini 10.

Again I ask, as Jim Lovell says that Newton's 3rd law was a problem on
Gemini 9 with Cernan's spacewalk, what evidence do you have to contradict
him?

Regards,

Stuart Forbes
Edinburgh, Scotland