[meteorite-list] Forwarded request

From: Doug <meteor_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:07 2004

Thought I would pass this along.
  Doug

Hi! My name is Misty Lees. I am the Museum Director for the first
museum and historical site in Johnstown, Colorado -- also the site of a
witnessed meteorite fall and recovery in 1924. We are trying to raise
$165,000, in grants and contributions toward the final purchase of the
town founder's home to be our museum. (Currently, the town owns the
house and the historical society has promised to purchase it).

I'm sure you can guess where I am going with this! I have seen that you
have specimens of the Johnstown meteorite available. We are looking for
a specimen to go in the museum, as a donation.

The piece would return to its "home," and would be recognized as the
only
piece to do so. It would be a phenomenal asset, and a great item of
curiosity that would bring people to the museum. It would also have a
permanent site.

Let me know if you have any interest in working with us. You may access
our web site and see photos of the museum-in-progress (recently put
together by two kids!) at www.johnstownhistoricalsociety.org.

As an aside, I am currently working on a book about the Johnstown
meteorite. (I am a writer and editor.) I am tracking the specimens'
owners and interviewing surviving witnesses to the 1924 fall. This is a
fascinating topic! Any information you offer would be appreciated. And
please pass this message along to other meteorite aficionados!

Misty M Lees <looney-tunes2_at_juno.com>
901 Charlotte St.
Johnstown, CO 80534