[meteorite-list] Re: Dec 25 Eclipse from Pittsburgh

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:37:38 2004

Welcome to the List, Francis.

Your "mini-social event" in East Pgh sounds like a fun
idea. As a young boy I grew up in East Pittsburgh and
my family still lives in the general area. I'm
usually in the Pgh area during Christmas, and had I
been there this year, it would have been neat to share
the eclipse with your family.

I would like to visit the "Christine Alley
Observatory"
someday ;-) I know of a spot that affords good
viewing. It's on a hilltop next to the cemetery in
Churchill Township. The light pollution is minimal
(none comes from the cemetery;-) and the trees block
the light coming from the Westinghouse Research Plant.
 I took some pictures of Hale-Bopp from there a few
years back.

Although I'm writing this from Pasadena, California,
it is this vast cosmos with its infrequent asteroidal
and cometary visitors that again and again reminds me
that this is truly a small world.

Happy New Year to everyone in East Pittsburgh, and to
All of us on this List.

Bob V.

Message: 13