[meteorite-list] My First Hunt-Ad

From: Donald O'Keeffe <donald.okeeffe_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:37:36 2004

--------------3B22080D3731DE36654E9CD4

Dear Michel and List,

I very much enjoyed your site. I particularly liked this comment: "We will not
say that it is impossible to hunt without a GPS, we will say it is criminal to
forget or hide the localization of new meteorites".

I agree. I think the GPS is essential to the hunt. One day, I took a spill on
my motorcycle and smashed my Garmin. That was the end of the hunt for the day.
I drove about a 200 mile round trip to get a replacement.

I don't want to just catch a falling star and put it in my pocket. To me that
would just make it another NWA (North Western Arizona). I take time with my
finds: turn on the GPS, acquire position, set up various props (e.g., some
combination of tongs, GPS, toothbrush, etc.) so I can later match the in situ
photo with the stone, and I make field notes.When this is done I fill my hole
and place three pieces of quartz on top. I can show you exactly where each and
every one of my finds were made. As far as I'm concerned, it belongs in the
public domain.

Sincerely,
Don

ago as