[meteorite-list] Ebay Thin Section Sale

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:37:34 2004

A couple months ago there was a discussion on this list about where to get
thin sections made and me and another list member went on a search on where
to get some made. I contacted over a dozen people who indicated that they
could make them and sent meteorites to 3 that I wanted to try out (One
place I still havent herd back from).
It seems that just being the proper thickness is not enough but they have to
be properly polished to - as otherwise it can still be called a thin section
but it not suitable for a scientist studying it (Or to classify a
meteorite).
I found a suitable place that can do them and had two scientists check them
out so I know that these are of good quality. You could use these to
classify a meteorite if you wanted as they are of sufficient quality to do
so. I have just put four thin sections on ebay. After finding that this
individual makes thin sections that are of suitable quality I then sent a
bit more expensive stuff in a bigger order. The four thin sections that I
now have on ebay is two moroccos, ghubara and vaca muerta but next week I
expect to have bilanga, allende, a ureilite, two seperate eucrites and many
others. The four that I now have on ebay are all started at $1 and the above
5 as well as others will be put on ebay and started at $1 also when I get
them next week. That should be enough to entice you to follow my auctions
next week. I should be able to get lots of meteorites on ebay over the next
couple of days also. Its been slow going as I recover from my moroccan trip
and two weeks vacation in amsterdam, berlin and munich but I should have my
ebay stuff up and running like normal again very soon.
Cheers
dean
www.meteoriteshop.com