[meteorite-list] Ghubara

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:37:34 2004

Dan Fronefield wrote:

> I was slicing up a 2.5 kg Ghubara this past weekend and found lots of great
> features in this meteorite. Within several slices, I had a very distinct
> differentiation ie. two adjoining sections that were distinctly different
> colors. The lighter colored section also seemed to have more defined
> chondrules. There were also dense clusters of metal flake up to 1/2 "
> diameter, many armored chondrules and some large black inclusions about
> 1/4" diameter. All in all, it is one of the more diverse set of features
> I've seen in a single meteorite.

Hello Dan and List,

Ghubara is an interesting L5 chondrite that has been described as
a regolith breccia with a dark matrix and light clasts. The lighter
colored sections have more defined chondrules because there are
L3 fragments set in an L5 host.
That's why Ghubara is also classified as being xenolithic, i.e. having
inclusions or fragments not genetically related to the rock in which
they are found.
And, last but not least, Ghubara is a gas-rich meteorite, in other
words, its meteoritic components (which were apparently assembled
on the surface of a parent body) were probably exposed to an active
early Sun.

Best wishes,

Bernd