[meteorite-list] Frison artifacts lack facts

From: David Freeman <dfreeman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:37:32 2004

Dear Meteorite artifactors;
I have most recently completed a search of my signed copy of
"Prehistoric Hunters of the High Plains" by George C. Frison c.1978 and
found no observations or links to meteorites in the many sites that he
studied throughout the decades in the northwestern plains. Mr. Frison
,being the father of Wyoming archaeology, and a learned scholar (U.W
professor 30+ years ?), would have probably realized a meteorite had he
came across one, I would think. If I have the opportunity, I shall ask
him.
Wyoming only has 12 recorded meteorites, and the last was found in 1949.
I just don't think that they fall here, or with the uncertainty of
private ownership from the massive areas of federal lands, finders are
not encouraged to produce suspected meteorites.
Dr. Frison mentioned that Native Americans were working iron back in
the early 1800's but related to the early fur traders being associated
as the source of the iron.
In the past and even present though, local federal and private
archaeologists, and public artifact hunters that I have met are lacking
any knowledge of meteorites other than what they see from Hollywood. I
often marvel at the lack of cross training in such related disciplines.
Vertebrate paleontologists and mineralogists are often lacking as well.

Needing more luck I guess,
Dave F.