Dinosaur Extinction Theory

Hello List!  I have been following this thread, and I recall the question
being brought up as to why only the "dinosaurs", and not other species
became extinct at that time.  Well, I have a pet theory that I should like
to throw out here,..... probably I'm all wet,... but feel free to ponder and
pick it to pieces!

Are you aware that many turtles eggs are layed, neither male nor
female.....and that the surrounding temperature of the egg site, at a given
time during their developement, determines whether that hatch will be all
male, or all female!  If the dinosaurs reproductive apparatus worked the
same way,..... a world-wide temperature change of only a few degrees would
cause all offspring to be of only one sex.  Now,... what if the larger
species of dinosaurs were not long-lived enough to overcome this period of
time?  In other words,....when the Earth's temperature dropped (or raised)
back to normal variances....there were no more of the opposite sex left
alive to breed???  The dinosaurs simply became all male, or all female....
due to climactic changes caused by the "big one" which hit a bit south of
here, 65 or so million years ago.
Turtles,.... on the other hand,...are very long-lived!  So are the crocs!
There must have been some very happy, old-aged males around,.... with a
world full of females!  When the climate changed,....eggs would once more
start producing new males,...and the species was able to rebound!
So, list..... whad'ya think????

Bruce D. Yager
bdyager@mhtc.net

Archives located at: