Re: When Does a Meteorite become a Meteorite?

 david>>Anyway, if another mineral was found in the atmosphere, I'm sure some
 particles are floating around up there, it would not have a different
 name merely because it was in the atmosphere. The mineral "meteorite" is
 completely formed and in its final compositional state immediately after
 its luminous flight and within its dark flight phase before it hits the
 ground.<<

I mostly agree with you here, David and I think you are on the right track.
Like the smaller cousins known as micro-meteorites that are floating around
for hours or days before coming to rest on the surface? Some of these
drifting meteorites have been captured via high flying airplanes prior to
their landing on the ground. They are meteorites before the plane landed.
They definitely aren't meteoroids in space or with different orbits than the
earth. Nor will they ever become meteors again after once making this
passage. It looks like we already faced the dilemma of a meteorite "hitting"
an airplane prior to reaching the ground during it's "dark flight" phase?
geozay

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: