Re: velocity of incandecense vs atmosphere density

> As long as the list is relatively quiet, I have a two part question that
>I am curious about. The recent loss of the Mars Climate Orbiter got me to
>thinking, is the Martion atmosphere dense enough to cause incoming objects,
>(rocks, multi-million dollar satelites, etc) to actually burn(incandense)?

Yes, which is why all of the Mars landers (Viking, Mars Pathfinder and
the upcoming Mars Polar Lander) all use heat shields and parachutes.

>Wouldn't it take a higher entry speed in a thinner atmosphere?

Yes.  Since the Mars Climate Orbiter was traveling so fast, it
burned up in the atmosphere.  Since it was in the middle of its
engine burn when this happened, the engine burn was cut short. This
resulted in the spaceraft, or rather its burnt remains, to just keep
on flying past Mars.  Mars Climater Orbiter never made it into orbit
around the planet, nor did it crash on Mars.

>What part does oxygen content play?

Very little, since there is hardly any oxygen in the Martian atmsophere.
It is made up of mostly carbon dioxide.

Ron Baalke

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: