Re: Meteorite hunting 4x4's

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Andrews <dandre10@cybertrails.com>
To: goldmaster <goldmaster@gci-net.com>; meteorite-list
<meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Friday, October 22, 1999 7:25 PM
Subject: Re: Meteorite hunting 4x4's

I could never afford a 4x4 but remember getting into a few places in my old
36hp VW bugs where there would be a 4x4 owner wanting to know how in the
hell I got out, or up there.  I remember my new 1956 bug cost $1495 plus
tax.  That torsion bar ride and the lightweight air-cooled engine over the
rear wheels were great out in the rough.  I think the best all around was my
1960 bug, though, at 7,000 or 8,000 feet in Wyoming & elsewhere, there
wasn't enough horsepower to climb some of those slopes.  There were times in
Wyoming where you wouldn't see another soul till you got back to the highway
days later.  Sometimes used to go out for days with a family of four in the
Mojave and Arizona deserts with a luggage rack on top and another homemade
one wired to the rear bumpers.  Sometimes their lighter weight helped keep
them from getting stuck, if you were going fast enough when you first hit
the mud, sand, or alkali.  Got stuck maybe three or four times.  Was able to
get myself out except the time someone else came along and pulled me out
before I could finish digging the hole to bury my spare tire, rope it to the
car, and try to use my hand winch.  Some of those "dry" lakes weren't so dry
after all.  There were a few times I couldn't quite get to where I wanted to
be, but was always able to get close enough to walk in.  Can't get out any
more.  Anyone interested in a 100 or so older USGS topo contour maps?
Mainly of California dry lake regions, but also parts of UT, AZ, NV, WY, TX,
etc.
Darryl

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: