Chubb Crater - Part 8 of 12

The National Geographic Magazine, Vol. C1, No.1, January, 1952
Solving the Riddle of Chubb Crater
By V. Ben Meen - Director, Royal Ontario Museum of Geology and
Mineralogy

Last Chance to Solve the Riddle

This terse report sent my hopes soaring. The section which the boys
were then working would be a likely spot for discovering proof of a
buried meteoritic mass, or a concentration of exploded fragments.
My elation soon began ebbing. What the boys thought might be wishful
thinking, sired by last-minute desperation. Even if they were right,
there was insufficient time left for the work necessary to establish
adequate positive evidence. If only we had an extra 24 hours or so at
our disposal. My disappointment returned, sharpened by the feeling of
being cheated by clock, calendar, and weather.
Chubb Crater had never witnessed anything like the feverish efforts
put forth on its east rim that Saturday and Sunday.
"Doc! Doc! I've got it!"
Exultant and almost beside himself with excitement, Keefe came striding
up to me on Sunday.
"I've found the anomaly," he said. "But I need more time to study it.
How much longer have I got?"
It was already evening. Our plane was due tomorrow.
John did have the information we had hunted so long. At least he
had some of the information - that a magnetic anomaly existed. This
scientific term means a difference in the earth's magnetic force at
a given point or area, caused by a foreign subsurface mass. The
presence of such an anomaly in the glacier-scoured, granitic crater
region could mean the east rim held portions of a buried meteorite.
A similar magnetic anomaly exists at Arizona's Meteor Crater, and
is the next best thing to actual recovery of meteoritic material.

Regards,

Bernd

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: