Re: micrometeorites and testing for nickel

Dear Jorge, Jim, and list,

I was curious enough about the procedure to test for nickel described in
Norton's "Rocks from Space" (Appendix E) that I went on a quest for the
chemicals needed. There is a spelling error in the book which made it
difficult to find the most important of the chemicals via the internet
search facilities -- the indicator used which turns red in the presence of
nickel is called "dimethylgloxime" (one word, second to last letter is an
"m") and not "dimethyl gloxine" as (mis-)printed in the book. Maybe someone
who knows Mr. Norton can pass this on to him for the next edition. A great
book, by the way.

I found a small company in California which sells small quantities of
reagents by mail-order to prospectors, assay labs, and amateur chemists.
They have dimethylgloxime (often abbreviated DMG) at $12 for 25 gm. This
amount should be several lifetime supplies, as you only need a few drops of
solution per test. I haven't done business (yet) with this company; just
noticed that they have the stuff. They are called The Al-Chymist; their web
site is at:

http://www.ctainforms.com/~bmotel/chemist.html

Hope this helps someone.

Best wishes to all,